Some of my new friends are about to have their court date and have asked me to share more about court.....so, here are some of the questions the judge asked me:
Why did I decide to adopt from Russia instead of the US
Do I have insurance that will cover the child
If illness develped, would I return the child......(yeah, they really asked me that!!)
Several times they asked me to describe my house
How long will I stay home with the baby and what kind of care will she have once I return to work.
What is my income.
How much do I owe on my home.
What is the average income where I live
Do I know how to make Russian Porridge
Explain what I've been told about the child's health issues
Who will care for the child if anything happens to me.
What sleeping arrangements had I made for the child.
Are my family and friends supportive
What is my religion.
Several times she asked if I was sure I wanted to adopt this child and said they would understand if I did not want to proceed. I suppose giving me an opportunity to back out or testing my reactions. I finally said I wouldn't be there if I weren't sure.
What to wear to court:
I was told to wear something colorful....not a dark suit. Because adoption is a cheery occasion and my wardrobe should reflect that. I did wear a blue suit, but with a bright top and bright scarf.
Shoes
As you may know, Russian women have some sort of shoe fetish. I wore my Uggs the entire time, but for court I wore high heels......as seems to be the custom. But be forewarned....you are standing the entire time in court. And wear dark hosiery....don't make my fashion faux pas. Pantsuits are ok for women. All the other women in the courtroom had on pantsuits except my translator. PS - There were 7 people in the courtroom, including me, my translator and the judge. The room was small.
Photo Album
Take it. Fill it with pix from previous visits with the child. Make sure you have a picture of you and the child and your spouse and the child (if applicable). Put photos of your home...interior and exterior.....and take pix of your home with you in them so they know it is your house and not some photos you pulled off the internet. Also put pix of you with family and friends and of you participating in activities with friends or while participating in your hobbies.
That's all I can think of. Let me know if you have more questions.
Ten Day Count Down!
8 years ago

3 comments:
What's with the dark hosiery? That would have made me so nervous to have other ladies looking at me and what I was wearing. I have a feeling Rich and I are going to stick out pretty bad hehe. I do appreciate the heads up this post offers. I am just so sick of talking about the economy but I guess I'll have to sharpen my defense of it.
Thanks for posting the court hearing details. I have to admit I have not think about it and now I'm getting a little nervous.
Would love to see more pictures!!!
Post a Comment