Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Say...Yellow Blue Tibia


You've just said "I Love You" in Russian.....kindof

Yah lyoo-blyoo tee-byah

Those are the first words I'm going to say to my little one when I meet her. Yes, Lavonne is on an adoption journey to Russia. I've decided to blog my journey (although I'm not a great writer). I might have to get M.L. to edit my dribble. Anyway.....here goes my first post....and I have alot to catch you up on.

So, the when why and how......

I always knew I would adopt. Always. Even as a little girl, I knew. Of course, I thought I'd be married with a house full of younguns first. I haven't been blessed with a husband or a house full, but I know I am meant to be "mom". I just had to follow the path before me and figure out what I was supposed to do. Actually, with the theatre kids, I feel like I've raised a few already. But there has always been that one true bond missing. So, since God didn't bless me with a brood, I think he wants me to find it in a different way.

I officially started an adoption journey in 2004. My church announced a local adoption agency would be holding a seminar at my church. I went. I was in. This was exactly what I wanted to do. I met with them later, met with my minister, paid an application fee and began the journey. Telling my mom was the biggest hurdle. Her first reaction when I told her I was adopting was "for how long". I still laugh at that. How long? Forever. I think mom is just weirded out by this non-traditional family she's about to have, being the Southern Belle she is.

Anyway, I started the process, told a few friends.......then realized my finances weren't in order to start that journey. I had just opened a new business and was having trouble taking care of my cat. I soon realized I wasn't ready to care for a baby.

So, I've spent the past 4 years getting my life and my finances in order. I'm ready.

In June of 2007, I started the adotion process again......only to realize the "Christian" agency that came to my church, that I wanted to work with, didn't want to work with me. Because I'm SINGLE. Well, they didn't come right out and say it, but I was certainly shown the door. I actually left feeling like that was it. It wasn't going to happen. As I sat in my car with the tears starting to come, I slapped myself around asked God for help and decided it WAS going to happen. God told me so. So I went home and hit the internet.

A month later, I had an agency that didn't mind I was single....you see there are some 10 million orphans in this world. Wouldn't one be better off with just me than alone? Yep. I agree too. So, although I know it will be hard, I'm just going to have to find some father-figures. Is George Michael taken?

My adoption process re-began in June 2007. Since then....paperwork, lots and lots of paper work. A home study (oh, and I had to buy a house). Check. Complete a Dossier with pages and pages of documents that have to be notarized, then the notarized documents have to be apostilled by the Secretary of State. Fingerprinting for background checks - had to go to Rankin County Jail Central Booking to be buzzed in with all the criminals in their stripped suits.....and here's me in my capris, hot rollered hair, makeup and Coach bag over my shoulder traipsing through central booking. Remind me never to be arrested!! Thank goodness the only blot on my record is speeding tickets. God sure has been looking out for me!! And all that was only the beginning of the paper trail. It took me 8 months to complete my home study and dossier. But in May of 2008, I submitted my completed dossier and visited with Homeland Security. Now I sit and wait.

What am I waiting for: a referral of a baby girl between 9 and 24 months. One I can say Yellow Blue Tibia to over and over again. It takes 8-12 months to get a referral, so possibly around January 2009.....then off to Russia I will go.

Peace,
Lavonne


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is simply beautiful. You will be a fabulous mother. It will happen; I have faith.

And thanks for the Russian vocab. My new roommate's boyfriend is Russian. I feel a good awkward moment coming on.

This is Erin, by the way. I'm not sure if we have ever been blog friends before.

margaux said...

congratulations, lavonne! i am so happy you're taking this journey. you will be an amazing mama. i send you loads and loads of prayers and good mojo. if you ever want to talk to someone who's been thru the process, let me know. my acting teacher adopted a little girl from russia a few years ago.

Monica said...

Beautiful. Thanks for doing this. The Walton brood is here to help you with anything and everything at any time. You know our message to you is "yellow blue tibia" too!

A said...

I am sooo happy for you. This just makes me think back on conversations we had (and some i overheard between you and my mom) YEARS ago. Which is why I am SO excited for you. You have all of my best wishes and I am ALWAYS here for you!
Love, Austin Ruckstuhl

Kenn12 said...

You made me cry...
I am so proud of you. You have been one of my heroes for quite some time and I know a hero to others as well. Now it is your turn to get specific and be a hero for a special one. I know you were meant for this, your love for kids overflows outside any container. God has great things planned for you. I have several friends that adopted, but it took two of them and you can do what took both of them to do...I will help in any way that I can. Godspeed. Phil 1:3

Miss County of San Diego 2012, Anna Mason said...

Lavonne.. I'm crying right now. You are going to be the best mother in the world. After all, you've had plenty of practice over the years! I am SO happy for you; you don't even know.. Please keep this blog updated. I can't wait to meet your baby!!

Anonymous said...

This is great! I was always hoping you would adopt because I've always thought you'd be a great mother. And let me tell you that kid is going to grow up with such a great life because not only will he have a rockin' mom, but TONS of big brothers and sisters (your theatre babies).

Anonymous said...

ugh I can't edit my comment...I meant SHE* will have a rockin' mom.