Ok....so, where was I......
Oh yes....court.....well, that's done....nothing more to share on that front. So, after that, I went back to the States during the 10-Day wait. Visiting the orphanage was going to be limited and I could not wrap my head around staying in Krasnoyarsk for 10 days on my own with no agenda. I would have gone stark raving mad. Here's a glimpse as to why.......
Oh yes....court.....well, that's done....nothing more to share on that front. So, after that, I went back to the States during the 10-Day wait. Visiting the orphanage was going to be limited and I could not wrap my head around staying in Krasnoyarsk for 10 days on my own with no agenda. I would have gone stark raving mad. Here's a glimpse as to why.......
The view from my hotel room in Krasnoyarsk
Ok...so that image doesn't look so bad...it's a park (Central Park, I believe) right outside Hotel Krasnoyarsk. The white building to the right is a theatre of opera and ballet. Of course, nothing was playing while I was there! In the far background behind the tall tree is the Yenisey River.
This is my region....Krasnoyarsk.
Each time I traveled to Russia, I would land in Moscow (a 10 to 12 hour flight from Atlanta depending to tailwinds). Then there would be a 9 hour layover and our driver would take us to an airport hotel that would let you rent by the hour. So, we'd check into this hotel and catch a few hours rest before catching the next flight to Krasnoyarsk. A 5 hour flight from Moscow.
Krasnoyarsk is in Southern Siberia, just north of Mongolia. About half way between Moscow and the tip of Alaska. This is the area Russians used to send its "undesirables" during communist rule. I see why. Talk about shipping someone off to Siberia!! The sun is not very bright and didn't rise til around 9:00am. It is cold, but not as cold as I thougt it would be. But don't get me wrong...it's definitely cold. Of course we now live in a time of electric heating....which they are not bashful about using. Anywhere inside was smoulderingly hot. We had to open our windows during the night.....in freaking Siberia....because it was so hot inside. So, you'd bundle yourself from head to toe to go outside and then undress when you were inside. Well, that was our bidding...the Russians kept on all their winter gear....all of the time. I think their bodies are just used to all of it.
But, I digress.....my region was Krasnoyarsk, but the orphange Sophie lived in was in Achinsk. A 2 hour drive west of Krasnoyarsk.
On the way to Achinsk...a view from the backseat.
How shall I describe driving in Siberia? Put the pedal to the metal and drive like hell. When you want to pass someone, be sure and kiss their bumper for a mile or so...during that time, also swerve into oncoming traffic and play chicken with those coming towards you. Speed limits and traffic lanes are merely suggestions in Russia.
I simply looked out the side window...which kept icing up....said my prayers and tried not to look.
Images of Sophie's orphanage in Achinsk
This baby home cares for babies from newborn until about three or four years. After that, they are moved to another facility next door. If they aren't adopted before leaving this building, chances are slim they never will. There were about 60 children in this orphanage.
Talk about a depressing town. The only beauty was the snow and the birch trees.
Street scenes in Achinsk
Just looking at these few images makes me sad. I remember seeing people on the streets there. I saw no happiness there. Perhaps there was joy inside these apartment buildings and on the streets. I just felt so sad for the people there. No way up and no way out it must seem. What in the world would my dear girl have done if she were never adopted. What life awaited her in this town?
There are about 700,000 children in Russian orphanages because of parental death, abandonment, neglect or severe health problems. Of those who leave the orphanages after turning 18, about 10 percent commit suicide, 30 percent commit a crime and 40 percent become vagrants within the first year.
But this one flew home with me and will stay forever!

3 comments:
Sounds like you had an amazing experience! The part at the end made me cry. Kiss your little one for me and pray mine flies home soon too. Congrats again!
Love the last statement as well. How wonderful for both of you to have found each other.
I LOVE the bathing suit photo! What a great contrast to life in Russia.
Kristine
I am adopting from Krasnoyarsk and am in between the first and second trips. Could you give a description of your experience with the 8-doctor medical? What blood work did you take with you? Right now I have blood work for HIV and Hep. A.- along w/the TB test and TB chest x-ray. Everything is negative, but the Hep. A. test says "consistent w/remote past HAV infection" -which means I am positive for Hep. A. antibodies. I had the Hep. A/B vaccination before my first trip, so it makes sense that I am positive for antibodies. However, I need to document that in a way that the Russian doctors won't be nervous about the note on the blood work. I would appreciate any information on your experience w/the medical. What blood work did you take with you?
Your daughter is beautiful!! Congratulations!!! I am hoping to be able to bring my daughter home as soon as possible. Thank you for your information on court. I so much appreciate being able to read it.
Post a Comment